What in the world ever happened to common courtesy? I was appalled this week when I was given a ticket by a State Highway Patrolman. I won't go into the details of the ticket, but let's just say I was at a red light so what really could I have done?
Anyway, while asking me where I was headed I noticed he wasn't even looking in my general direction. He was looking over the top of my car and out onto the main road. I had pulled into a safe parking lot. Then he does his normal police dude schpeil and I notice yet again that he isn't looking at me while talking. This time he was looking at the intersection I had just come from. Really dude, seriously?? I'm right here!!! Look at me when talking, especially when I don't have any idea what I did while sitting at a red light to warrant a ticket, but whatever….
I was taught as a girl something called manners. They aren't hard.
Listen when spoken to..okay, check.
Look at the person with whom you are speaking…okay, check on my part…huge old NOPE on the officers.
Treat the person with respect by using Ma'am or Sir as applies to the situation…check on my part, NOPE on the officers. He spoke to me like I was an idiot. Honestly. I don't get overly heated or upset about things like this, but this time it was a little much for me.
I left the scene in a pissed off mood and feeling like I was stupid. I didn't feel that way before he pulled me over, so what happened? Well, when I ask him to explain a little better what I had done because I didn't understand the police language he used the first time, he completely ignored me. I guess I wasn't really in the car?!?!? Then he tore my car registration out of my hand before I could make sure it was the newest one, leaving me with a paper cut. Petty, I know, but dang, those things sting!! He asks me if I had ever had a violation before. My answer was "no sir, I've never even been pulled over before". He didn't even wait for me to complete that sentence before he barked "well, you're getting one today" and marched back to his vehicle. Well, okay, whatever then….umm sorry? I understand about bad days, we all have them. I also understand that police officers often encounter people with less than stellar intelligence. What I don't understand is why he couldn't just extend some courtesy and use his manners? It's not much to ask to be treated with respect is it? I don't know, maybe it is these days.
I just sometimes wonder what happened to courtesy and manners. Has everyone lost them? Or, were they never taught them to begin with? I sometimes feel I am hopelessly instilling these common mannerisms and customs in my children but then I wonder if it is to no avail. I mean, if no one else uses them why should they right? Big time wrong there! I want my kids to know what please, thank you, yes ma'am and yes sir really mean. They are courtesy's extended to others. They are POLITE!!!!!
Anyway, that's enough of my ranting. I will now step down from the soapbox I've been standing on and get on with my day. What has happened that you need to talk about? Feel free to share it with us. Goodness knows I will use my manners to the best of my ability……
No comments:
Post a Comment