How do you deal with your aging family members.
It is hard to fathom that my family is getting older. I have lost 2 of my grandparents on my fathers side my grandpa in 1995 and my grandmother in 2000. I have regrets in life with my grandmother so I do not want to follow in that path. My grandmother would come up with funny things like people were stealing a boat motor (there was like 3 ft of snow out and no foot prints) I was hiding someone under my bed (I had a water bed good luck with that one. ) So I know what to expect when people are aging. I am not prepared to deal with my other set of grandparents. My mawmaw has slowly been lossing her marbles. Litterally. She has hit this phase in her life where she is saying people are stealing from her. (mind you people are not stealing anything the house is safer than the white house) Now this is only people are stealing from HER. They are stealing stuff like a quilt off of her bed. (dirty and all) white towles (not pink ones) spools of thread, glasses cleaner. You get the idea. They aren't stealing the Wii or the electronic equipment that my mom has. She has decided that the "thief" is watching and knows when she leaves the house and comes over and takes her stuff while she is gone. And guess who she is accusing of doing it. She seams to think that I am going over and looking at her calendar so that I know when she is gone and coming over and taking HER stuff. I am truely hurt by this. I spent last night praying about it. Asking God to take this burden from my heart. Asking for the wisdom on how to confront this. Tears and prayers were flowing until about 630 this morning. I am left with I need to speak with my grandmother. My grandfather has told my grandmother that this is crazy and if I ever found out about this I would be extremly hurt. And he is right.
So I called my mom this morning and said I feel the best thing is to tell her how she has hurt me. I told my mom that after tonight I will not darken the door at thier home until this is resolved nor will my children. I can't live my life with my grandmother making acqusations like this. I love my grandmother dearly but this can't go on. I told my mother that she is in what I believe to be the middle stages of alzheimmer's she is sick and needs some kind of help. Am I doing the wrong thing?
So my question is. How do you deal with your aging family? Have you had to deal with anything like this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sort of with Mimi I had to deal with this. It was very soon after that that we decided to put her in a Senior Living Facility for people with Alzheimer's. It is going to get tougher and tougher the longer your Mom and Grandfather put it off. They need to consult with a doctor to make sure the assessment is correct and then make a decision on what to do. I don't blame you, but if it is Alzheimer's know it is the disease talking, not necessarily your Mawmaw. I know it's hard, I've been there, twice....
ReplyDeleteYeah the talk didn't go to well. She said she was sorry but you could tell she didn't believe that I didn't do it. It really hurts but what can I do. I explained that I think that she needs to go get checked out and we all feel the same way. She denied that she had any problems.
ReplyDelete