Well, it happened. I failed. Actually that happens more often than I care to admit, but I digress.
The kids and I decided it would be loads of fun to make Daddy (aka Chuck) a cake for his birthday. Not just any cake mind you. A layer cake. Yeah, should have stopped at the thought. The plan was to make a cake with a layer of pudding in the middle and then frost it. I've never attempted something like that, so I thought, eh..why not? How hard can it really be?
Early results were good. The pudding was mixed and chilling. The cakes were baking and cooling. The problem started when we put it all together. Having never made a layer cake I had no idea you needed to freeze the thing BEFORE you attempt to put icing on. That way the pudding doesn't squeeze out of the middle layer.
Wait, go back a couple steps. While the first cake was cooling and the second baking I ran to change the laundry and add another load into the washer. I thought the cake would be safe....OH NO!! The kids saw me head downstairs and each one ran to the cooling cake and pulled a hunk off. I came upstairs to find all 3 of my kids with their hands covering their mouths to "hide the cake". In reality all I had to do was follow the crumbs and chocolate smiles...ugh!
So, back to the cake disaster. I had no idea how to conceal the kid catastrophe, so I thought I'll just go with it. I cut the bottom layer to match the top. Round on one side and flat on the other...perfect! Right up until the kids and I started adding the icing. Then the pudding smooshes out of the middle and starts running down the side. Crap! How do you fix that?? Needless to say, after about 20 minutes of trying to figure out how to fix it I just threw my hands up and said "oh well, Daddy will love it because we made it with love". That seemed reasonable to the kids. Then Audrey said "why don't we add some nuts to make it pretty?". That is exactly what we did to make it beautiful...at least in the kids eyes. In mine, it was the worst cake experience in my life! A disaster!! To Chuck, well, he said it "was the best cake he ever had".
So, here are the pictures of this "wonderful" cake! Enjoy my failure!

No comments:
Post a Comment